Planning & Zoning

Contact Information

Planning & Zoning

700 Bank St, Wallace, ID 83873
Phone: (208) 752-8891
Fax: (208) 556-5135

Keith Teeters

Building Official / Inspector

Inspection Request:
(208) 783-7751


The Planning & Zoning Department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of County Land Use Ordinances and Codes related to a variety of improvement and development projects.

This Administration’s jurisdictions covers all of Shoshone County except for the seven incorporated cities. (Mullan, Wallace, Osburn, Kellogg, Wardner, Smelterville, and Pinehurst)


It is our mission to provide the best available information and interpretation of the rules and regulations possible. It is our goal to provide our community the best customer service possible during the completion of their permit approval process.

Burke, Idaho

Ordinances & Codes

Zoning Code:

  • The Subdivision Ordinance is a set of rules and regulations established to govern the processes by which an individual’s land or properties are conveyed, split, divided, and/or adjusted.
  • The Subdivision Ordinance #139, adopted Dec. 22, 2009; has not yet been Codified.
  • There are three methods to create a new parcel or lot;
    • Major Subdivision”, typically larger developments with engineered infrastructure improvements such as community sewer and water and access roadways. This type of application will require a Preliminary Plat recommendation for approval via a Public Hearing in front of the County Planning & Zoning Commission. (Includes a Special Chapter for ‘Conservation Design Subdivisions’) (Also required for Final Platting of Planned Unit Developments)
    • “Minor Subdivision”, restricted to a maximum of nine (9) lots created, and those lots must be a minimum of two (2) acres in size. The application shall not propose shared infrastructure or improvements, other than a water system and/or a common driveway that would require engineering to meet the requirements of the County or other agencies. This is an administrative procedure that does not require a public hearing, however an agency and public comment period is required prior to Administrative recommendation to the County Board of Commissioners.
    • “Exemption”, is a set of conveyance criteria that does not meet the County definition of ‘Subdivision’. Therefore, if a property owner can demonstrate that their proposal meets the exemption criteria, a conveyance can be approved administratively.

Building Code:

  • Shoshone County has adopted the International Code Compliance regulations, 2012 edition, for Building Code, Building Code Standards and Residential Code regulations,including additions, revisions or amendments. (Particularly ‘Snow Load’ and ‘Frost Depth’ requirements)
  • Shoshone County requires Building Permits for most all types of construction, additions, alterations, conversions, and improvement of structures. A ‘Setting’ Permit is also required for all manufactured/mobile homes.
  • Shoshone County subcontracts out to City of Kellogg for our Building Official, Plans review and building Inspection services. While they do not physically operate from our office in Wallace, we make every attempt to make sure distance is not a factor in providing excellent customer service.
  • Agricultural Buildings or “AG Exempt” buildings are allowed upon properties which are currentlye being classified as having and “Agricultural Exemption” (Categories 1, 3, 4, 5) granted to them by the Assessors’ Office.
    • “AG Exempt” building are exempt from the building codes adopted herein but shall remain subject to the administration and placement requirements established by Shoshone County zoning and floodplain regulations.

Site Disturbance:

  • The Site Disturbance Code is a set of regulations established to govern the activities related to excavations, filling, clearing, unstable earthworks, soil erosion, sedimentation, and storm water runoff management.
  • Site Disturbance proposals are classified into Low, Medium, or High risk projects based upon the level of disturbance being proposed. All of them require a permit, and all projects are required to adhere to the State of Idaho Best Management Practices for Storm Water and Erosion control.
    • High risk proposals will require plans to be created by a ‘Design Professional’ and may require a financial guarantee to be provided to the County.
    • Many proposals also require permits for other agencies. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure the project is covered by the appropriate permits.

Floodplain Administration:

  • The Floodplain Overlay District Regulations are a set of regulations established to govern the activities within a designated area known as the ‘Special Flood Hazard Area’ (SFAH) as determined by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Federal Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM’s)
  • As of September 26, 2008, Shoshone County has adopted the most current FIRM’s and related digital FIRM (dFirm) data.
  • Floodplain Development Permits are required for any development within the ‘Special Flood Hazard Area’. Particular standards must be met to prevent significant property damage during a flooding event.
  • The Planning & Zoning Administrator is also the Shoshone County Floodplain Administrator. our office can provide the public with information and services related to ‘Floodplain Determinations’ and any additional flood insurance data for a site, such as the FIRM zone designation and the base flood elevation (BFE) or depth, Benchmark information and locations. Other specific data that is found within the (FIS) Flood Insurance Study.
  • In most cases, for a nominal fee, we can provide an 8-1/2″ x 11″ color, GIS based FIRMette representing the subject property and digital FIRM data.
  • Shoshone County maintains all submitted elevation certificates for new and substantially improved structures for public review.
  • Do you need Floodplain questions answered?  “The County Floodplain Administrator is available to provide information and consulting, related to flood hazard issues, regulations and processes, including; site inspections to discuss potential flooding, drainage and retrofitting advice.  Please go to the “Planning & Zoning Department” tab for more information and links to many other opportunities for flood related information.”  Or go directly to or